Project & Tasks FAQs
Team admins may want to restrict users from joining a team due to several reasons such has controlled notification.Team admins can now control if the join action is visible to non-members for a project or group.Learn more on how you can control the visibility of 'Join' button for a project.
A Team in MangoApps can have both network users and guest users. Guest users can be added to a team one at a time and thus adding each user from a list of guest-users to a team can be a tedious task. MangoApps allows importing/loading a list of guest-users to a group using CSV import to make import of a large number of guest users simpler.
Below are the steps to import a list of guest-users to a team in MangoApps:
Step 1 – Adding Guest-users to the group
a. Navigate to the group where you would like to load guest-users. b. Click on 'Project/Group Tools' option on the top-right-corner. c. Click on ‘Invite Guest User’. d. From the new pop-up windows that opens,download the ‘Sample CSV’ located towards the bottomand add email ids of the guest-users you would like to invite. e. Upload the CSV file by clicking on ‘Import from a CSV file’ from within the same location where you downloaded the sample CSV file. This will load all the users to the team. Please note that when the import is complete then the users are created as guest users inside the team (if the imported users are not network users). However, if the users already exist in the portal as network users then they are simply added to the group.
Step 2 – Adding other information such as First Name, Last Name, City, State, Current Employer, Current Job Title etc to a guest-user
After importing users to the group, if you are looking to upload other information such as First Name, Last Name, City, State, Current Employer, Current Job Title, Email Address etc as well to the guest users, then it can be done through the ‘Admin Portal’. Below are the steps:
a. Navigate to the Admin Portal. b. Click on ‘Users > Add Users’ tab. c. Click on ‘Import Users' tab. d. Under Import Options, select ‘Update existing user’ – This will update existing information of guest-users that were uploaded under Step 1. e. Check ‘Allow out of network users to be imported to the network’. f. Download the ”Sample CSV’ and add details to it. g. Ensure that you add the same ‘guest user email id’ that you have added in Step 1 followed by rest of the information. h. Remove column ‘Manager’ and ‘Enabled’ from the Sample CSV file. i. Perform the upload by browsing the file and selecting it and then click on the 'Import Now' option. You can now view the guest users under ‘Admin > Users> Manage Users'. The role for such users will show as Guest Users.
The network may have a requirement of composing an update/question/post/poll to multiple teams to save time from posting the same content on multiple teams.Learn how to create a post/update for multiple teams here.
Another alternate way to mention multiple teams when creating the post/update, like '@team name' and then share the post/update.
A Network Admin might like to have only limited number of Projects/Groups in a given scenario by restricting network users to be able to create projects/groups.Learn how you can restrict specific users to create a project/group.
Non-members of your team (project, groups) by default can be landed on a default module configured by the network admin or the team admin when navigating to the respective team. Here are the steps below:
- 1.Navigate to your project/group for which you wish to change the default landing page.
- 2.Then click on the 'three dots' beside the 'Project Tools' option to open the pop-up menu and then click on 'General Settings >> Landing Page Settings'
3. This will now open a small pop-up window where you can select the right module to be loaded from the drop down when the project is accessed.
You can change the default value to your choice.
If you have a task that will happen every couple of days or every week/month, any regular schedule, Tasks in MangoApps can help you create it as a recurring task, so you only have to set it up once.Learn more on how you can setup the task with a recurring schedule here.
Yes, the project or group name can be renamed using the 'Edit Project and Module details' which will open up the entire project/group configuration page. The new name of the project/group needs to be updated there. Learn where you can find the 'Edit Project and Module details' here.
Team communications can be to all members of the team including external guest users or be restricted to just the network users that are on the team.
To restrict team communications to network users:
- 1.Start composing a project wall post.
- 2.Find the “Who can see this message?” menu under the composition window.
- 3.Choose “Network Users Only”.
Visual Notifications: Restricted conversations show a visual notification that they are different than other team conversations with a border. In addition, the “single-headed” icon is shown when it is a “Network-user-only” communication.
One can view the tasks of your colleagues in your project. Follow these steps:
- 1.In order to view, the tasks of your colleagues go to the project and task Module
- 2.From the View drop-down select “All Pending Tasks” or “All Completed Tasks”
3. You can further filter this down with the Show drop-down with a number of options: Tasks by Type, Tasks by Priority, Tasks by Person, Tasks by Milestones. Here we show the filter by person with a selected colleague
You can find the owner of a public or private project even if you are not a member of the project. Just click on the picture on the right side of the project to show the details including the owner. For private projects, you’ll need to go to “All Projects” and click on the picture from the “Join” screen.
MangoApps Project administrators can export All Project Data, Member Info & chat history only by:
- 1.Navigating to the specific project that you want to export.
- 2.Click on the three dots button besides “Project Tools” from the right top of the Project Wall.
- 3.From the menu, choose “Export” then click on the action you wish to perform
To download files that were uploaded to the project, you can either go to the 'Files' section and download the files/folder or use the MangoApps file sync tool to download them to your local device. Please note, that the above export option does not download the files by default inside the project.
In MangoApps, you can create Project Templates to reuse and standardize common project types in your domain.The overall concept of Project Templates is to recognize the similarity between subsequent projects and reuse as many common components as possible when creating new projects. Set up Project Templates once then save time, be more organized, and be more consistent on subsequent projects.
Templates are chosen when new projects are created in MangoApps. Users specify the name of a new project as they would normally, but users can then choose from the list of Project Templates previously created within their MangoApps domain. Users continue to fill in the project details as they would while creating any other project in MangoApps. Learn how to create a project template here.
Tasks in MangoApps allows you to breakdown projects into easy digest steps, to ensure success. With Tasks, you can delegate and track progress from the initial idea to fruition. You can also keep track of task progress to ensure the project is "healthy" and on track for completion by the deadline.Learn more on using tasks here.
Projects can be deleted by two types of users: The MangoApps Network Admin and The Project Admin.You can delete the projects from the Admin Portal. Here's where you can find the option to delete a project.
Zendesk integration is available as a module in Groups and Projects. The Zendesk module allows automatic fetching of tickets and posting those tickets as feeds in your project of choice. You can respond to your customers and update the ticket status right from the feed.Learn more on the Zendesk integration here.
In order to invite guest users to your project/group, ensure that the option to allow guest users are enabled for the project or group as per the below settings within a project/group space. These options will be available to a network admin or a project admin.
As we organize events in the calendar module normally, you can also create events within a project or group space in the exact same way. Such events can be viewed by members of the project or group. Learn more on creating calendar events here.
Custom fields helps users see the big picture or an eagle eye view through information that is visible across groups and projects. Customizable views keep everyone on the same page. Group & Project admins are able to track better project item information, core schedule data, metrics and all that matters with custom fields. The key benefit of this is the amount of time you’ll save switching between different views or asking for status updates, with greater visibility, day-to-day work becomes more transparent, efficient and manageable.Learn more on configuring custom fields here.
MangoApps Domain Administrators can set the name that the domain will use for “Projects” to any name that suits company culture, personal preference, or user workflow.Learn how you can change the label for your project here.
Once your Project Template is created, you can start adding content that will propagate to any new project you create from your template.
In the web client, choose the “Project” -> click the drop down to select “Project Templates”.
Select the Project Template you want to add content and click “Admin Tools” button on the top right to choose “Manage Modules”
Now, you can edit the details of your project template, delete the template entirely. Documents, wall posts, polls, project posts and wikis can be added from manage modules section while tasks and milestones can be added from the “Tasks” secondary navigation.
You can create project templates that all network users can use to quickly create projects on your domain. As a network admin, you can select the tags, categories, and modules for projects.Learn more on creating a project template here.
Any of the following MangoApps constructs can be created in advance and added to a project template. Each item created in the template will appear in any project that is created from the project template.
- Project Documents
- Project Wall Posts
- Project Polls
- Project Wikis
- Project Posts
The overall concept of Project Templates is to recognize the similarity between subsequent projects and reuse as many common components as possible when creating new projects. Set up Project Templates once then save time, be more organized, and be more consistent on subsequent projects.
Templates are chosen when new projects are created in MangoApps. Users specify the name of a new project as they would normally, but users can then choose from the list of Project Templates previously created within their MangoApps domain. Users continue to fill in the project details as they would while creating any other project in MangoApps.
Multiple responsible parties can be assigned the same task when you create it. This will create a separate task for each responsible party of the task.
- 1.Once your done adding the other details Select Save, this will Create a task for each Responsible Person.
- 2.On the Add Task dialog box add multiple Responsible persons. In this example we will add three people.
3. Once you are done added the remaining details, select Save and this will create separate tasks for each Responsible Person, you see in our example 3 new tasks were created.
Note these tasks are now individual meaning if one user finishes their task, the other responsible people will still need to finish their tasks as well.
There are multiple ways to upload a file to a Team(Group, Project or Department)
1. Through a new post to the Team
- Click “Compose” button on the top
- Select the Team and type the post.
- click “Attach” to attach a document.
2. When commenting on an existing feed
3. Through Files section of the Team
- Choose the Team section from the left hand navigation bar.
- select the Team where the document needs to be uploaded.
- Click “Files” in the secondary navigation bar.
- click “Upload new Files” on the top right.
4. Through sending an email to the team with the document attached. The email will appear as a new feed in the Team and the document will be attached to the feed.
You chat with an entire Team(Group/Project/Department) members at once. Any Team member that is online will instantly receive your chat messages. Team members that are offline can view the team chat session later since it is re-viewable later in MangoApps. Learn how you can join a team chat here.
Yes, one person can be part of multiple teams (groups, departments, projects, etc) in MangoApps. You will stay informed of all communications from each team that you are a belong to on your Inbox.
Activity Stream feeds in MangoApps show which group the activity feed originates from.
The “Project Task Pool” is the list of tasks unassigned tasks that belong to a project but have not been assigned to any specific project member. From the Project Task List, members can choose “Assign to me” for tasks that are pending and become the person responsible for the task. To assign a Project Task Pool task to yourself:
- 1.Choose the “Projects” from the left navigation and select the Project.
- 2.Choose the “Tasks” icon from the left-side icon list.
- 3.Click on a task that shows “Not Yet Assigned” as the status and the blue “Assign to me” button
Deleting a project does NOT delete any content in it, it moves the project to the Trash Can. The project and all its contents can still be restored by the network admins from the Trash can. The data is maintained in the trash can till its validity period (default of 90 days) expires. Deleted projects do NOT appear in your active list of projects on the User Portal.
Project Tasks can easily be re-opened by:
- Click on “Projects” from the left hand navigation.
- Choose the project that the task that you want to re-open belongs.
- Click on “Tasks” in the within the respective project
- Click on “Views” -> “All Completed Tasks” from the drop down.
- Click on the “Reopen” action button from the “All Completed” list.
Yes, you can re-assign a task to a project member at any time. To re-assign a task:
- 1.Click on “Projects” from the left hand navigation.
- 2.Choose the project that the task that you want to re-assign belongs.
- 3.Click on the “Tasks” tab in the project.
- 4.Find the task in your task bins.
- 5.Click on “Edit” under the respective task.
- 6.Make the appropriate re-assignment in the “Who’s Responsible” section of the “Edit Task” dialog box.
- 7.Optionally make a note in the “Notes” section of the task.
- 8.Click the “Save” button.
View the completed tasks and details including who worked on a task by:
- 1.Click on the Projects tab from the left hand navigation.
- 2.Choose the “Tasks” from the 2nd navigation
- 3.Click on “Views”
- 4.Then click “All completed Tasks” filter
Unassigned tasks for each project can be filtered on the “Task” tab for that project. To filter to the unassigned tasks for any project:
- 1.Click on the “Projects” from the left hand navigation.
- 2.Click on the respective Project from the list
- 3.Click on the “Tasks” sub-tab for that project
- 4.Choose the “Filters” -> “Tasks by Status” -> “Show only Not yet assigned Tasks” item.
The list that remains after applying the “Show only Not yet assigned Tasks” are the unassigned tasks for that project.
When you Finish or deliver a task, you have the opportunity to add a note that can help colleagues understand how the task was completed. Adding a note is optional but may be helpful if the steps to complete the task are not obvious.
Commonly, more detail about the task is typed into the “Notes” section. Entries typically include guidelines on how to get started with the task, who should be consulted while working on the task, what is delivered upon completion of the task, and what other tasks this specific task may relate to.
Completed tasks are only in the “Completed view” so there’s rarely a need to delete them. There may be situations where deleting pending tasks is viable including:
- The task is no longer necessary because it has been resolved in an alternate fashion.
- Another colleague already completed the task.
- The task is no longer timely and no colleague is expecting the task to complete.
- The task was created by mistake or for testing purposes.
How to delete a task?
- 1.From the Tasks module Select the task you need to delete.
- 2.Tick the box for that task(s) then from the hot menu select “Delete”
- 3.A dialog box will open “Do you wish to delete the selected Tasks?”
- 4.Select “Delete Selected” You will get a “Task deleted successfully” message.
To accept a task that has been assigned to you:
- Click on “Tasks” Module from the left-hand navigation or from the Sub-navigation of a Project.
- Click the “Start” action icon beside the task you want to begin.
Tasks in MangoApps allows you to breakdown projects into easy digest steps, to ensure success. With Tasks, you can delegate and track progress from the initial idea to fruition. You can also keep track of task progress to ensure the project is "healthy" and on track for completion by the deadline.Learn how to create a task and assign it to a colleague here.
You can create a task and assign it to yourself or someone else. This will be a stand-alone task not associated with a project.
The steps are:
- 1.Select the Compose box and pick “Create a Task” from the drop-down. You can also go to the Tasks Main Module and select “Add New Task”
- 2.Remove any project from the “In Project:” field by clicking the little “x” on the team name.
- 3.Add yourself or anyone as the Responsible Person, by typing the name in that field. You will be the default Task Approver.
- 4.Add all of the tasks details and select Save.
This Task will only be visible under the main Tasks Module.
To create a project task, perform the following steps:
- 1.Open the User Portal and navigate to the Project section.
- 2.Select an existing project or create a new one.
- 3.Click on the "Task" option from the left panel.
- Ensure the “Task” module is enabled from Admin Portal.
- 4.Access the "List" tab and add a task.
- 5.Input the necessary task details in the provided text box and assign a priority level using colors (low, medium, high, and highest).
- 6.Fill in the project title in the designated "In Project" text box.
- 7.Specify the responsible person's name to complete the task in the "Responsible Person" text box.
- 8.Define milestones to track progress.
- 9.Enter the task approver's name in the text box.
- 10.Opt to select "Set this as default approver list" if no changes to the approver for all tasks are required.
- 11.Add notes and additional details, or attach files by selecting the "More Details" tab.
Save the task by clicking the "Save" button.
To delete a team, follow these steps:
- 1.Go to the Admin Portal and access the Project module.
- 2.Navigate to Project Settings and turn on the option that allows project admins to delete their projects.
- 3.Next, go to the User Portal>Projects, and select the project you want to delete.
- 4.From Admin Tools, choose the option Delete to delete the project.
Double-check that you have selected the correct project before proceeding with the deletion process.
To allow guest users to create tasks in projects from the User Portal, follow these steps:
- 1.Access the User Portal.
- 2.Navigate to the "Projects" section.
- 3.Select any project from the available options.
- 4.Go to the "Admin Tools" menu.
- 5.Navigate to the "General Settings" tab.
- 6.Look for the "Guest User Settings" option.
- 7.Select the "Allow Guest users to create tasks" option.
- 8.Save your changes by clicking on the "Save" button.
To keep an item at the top of the news feed, enable the "Activate Banner" option. By doing so, the item will remain prominently displayed until this option is disabled.
To turn off the "Activate Banner" option, follow these steps:
- 1.Navigate to any team within the platform.
- 2.Access the Admin Tools section.
- 3.Look for the "Configure Project Banner" option.
- 4.Within the "Configure Project Banner settings," locate the option to activate or deactivate the banner.
- 5.Turn off the "Activate Banner" option to remove the item from the top of the news feed.